Mepra was created in 1947, but the entrepreneurial story of the Prandelli family starts many years earlier. In 1901, brothers Bortolo, Francesco and Giovanbattista create the first family business, Prandelli, in the Lumezzane Valley by the banks of River Gobbia to make use of its water’s kinetic energy that would allow machinery to operate.
The company’s factory used to manufacture for others and, during the First World War, produced bullets for the Italian Army. With the end of the war, the factory had to be converted to other uses, and Gianbattista’s three sons Pietro, Felice and Giacomo created Mepra, acronym for Metallurgica Prandelli (lit. Prandelli Metallurgical).